As the name implies, chocolate cake recipe is a type of cake flavored with melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or both. These are the main ingredients that make up a chocolate cake. Other ingredients include vanilla cream, fudge, and sweeteners.
Chocolates have always been known to be an exclusive luxury until in 1828 when coenraad van Houten of Netherlands developed a mechanical extraction method for extracting the fat present in cacao liquor resulting in cacao butter and defatted cacao, a compacted mass of solids that could be sold as rock cacao or grinded into powder.
This inventory transformed chocolate into an inexpensive daily snack. Since then, they have been more inventories on chocolate recipes and different kinds of chocolate cake have been invented.
Before discussing the different chocolate cake recipes it’s important you take these baking tips that will help you prepare perfect chocolate cakes.
- Every cake ingredient especially butter should be brought out of the refrigerator and allowed to attain normal room temperature before baking. This helps to prevent your batter from having lumps
- Things are simpler when you use the accurate measurement of ingredients as stated in a recipe when baking. Use tablespoons where it is required for accuracy.
- After making your batter, it is very important you allow your batter or mixture to get some air as this helps to prevent lumps and also increases the cake’s volume.
- Maintain cooking timings: To prevent your cake from getting undercooked or overcooked, use a skewer to check before taking it out of the oven.
You will observe by how dry and clean the skewer would be when you take it out of the cake. When there is still moisture, it means it still needs some baking time. To prevent the crust of the cake from burning, cover the cake with a dampened greaseproof paper.
- Lastly, always allow your cake to cool and attain room temperature. We will be discussing a few amazing chocolate recipes that am sure you will love to try out.
Chocolate cake from Scratch/Basic chocolate cake:
This recipe is the base for other variations of chocolate cake recipes.
3 cups of flour, 3 cups of granulated sugar, 1½ cup of cocoa powder, 1½ teaspoon of salt, 4 large eggs, 1½ cup of buttermilk, 1½ cup of warm water, ½ cup of warm water, ½ cup of vegetable oil, 2tsb of vanilla extract.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together (Use a mixer if available)
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and Vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into 2 pans evenly and bake for 30- 35 minutes at 350
Best Simple chocolate cake recipe:
2 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 1 tbs of baking powder, 1 tbs of baking soda, ½ cup of cocoa powder, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, 1 cup of vegetable oil, 1 cup of coffee (1 cup of water and 1 tbs of coffee).
- Put all dry ingredients together and mix
- Create an opening at the center of the dry ingredients in the bowl and pour in the wet ingredients carefully. Mix together and bake.
Moist Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe:
1¾ cups of flour, 2 cups of granulated white sugar, ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1½ tbs of baking soda, ¾ teaspoon of salt, 2 large eggs, 1 cup of buttermilk (or substitute by putting 1 tbs of white vinegar in a cup, fill the cup with milk and allow to sit for 5min till it thickens), ½ cup of melted butter, 1 tbs of vanilla extract, 1 cup of hot coffee.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together
- Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract into the mixture and stir until it becomes smooth
- Pour a hot cup of coffee using a rubber spatula into the mixture
- Grease two 9inch sized baking pan and set aside for a while
- Preheat oven to 350c
- Carefully pour batter evenly between the two pans bake for about 35 minutes. Monitor using a skewer
- When the cake is ready. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan and then run a knife through the edges of the pan to get the cake out
- Place on a metal tray and allow to cool before frosting
Black Forest Chocolate Cake:
This is a chocolate cake containing a strong cherry element. The recipe was originated from Germany where it is called “Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte”.
The stages of this cake are; Cake, Pastry base, and Misc. Let’s look at them.
Cake: 100g butter, 225g brown sugar, 1009 plain chocolate, 200g self-rising flour, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ pint sour cream, 3 tablespoons (tbs) strong cold black coffee, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt
Pastry base: 100g cream flour, a pinch of salt, 50g icing sugar, 50g Irish butter, 1 egg yolk, few drops of vanilla essence
Misc: 1 pound of tin black cherries, 1 pint cream, 4 tbs black cherry jam, cherry juice, 100g grated chocolate.
- Mix the butter and sugar to make a smooth cream
- Mix the chocolate and beat into the cream mixture
- Beat the eggs into the mixture
- Sift flour, cinnamon, and salt together
- Add the dry mix carefully into the liquid mixture. Also, add the sour cream and cold coffee
- Pour the mixture into a 9inch deep tin and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes
- Set to cool in a wire rack
- Put all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix until the mixture stiffens
- Roll the pastry onto a flavored board worktable until the pastry is about the same size as the base of the tin.
- Layout on baking sheet and bake for 20- 25 minutes
- Whip cream till it holds its shape
- Slice the cake into 3 equal-sized layers
- Put some whipped cream into a piping bag for decoration
- Reserve some cherries for decoration, drain the rest of the cherries and remove the stones
- Place pastry on a serving plate and spread with black cherry jam
- Soak the cake with spirit
- Place one layer of cake on top of the coated pastry
- Spread a layer of cream with half the stoned cherries
- Place the second layer of cake and add another layer of cherries and cream
- Place the final layer of the cake and cover the entire cake with the remaining cream
- Sprinkle come grated chocolates on the cake and decorate the top with piped rosettes of cream and the reserved black cherries.
Fudge Chocolate cake:
This is a type of chocolate cake containing fudge. Fudge is a type of sugar candy obtained by mixing butter, milk, and sugar and heating it at 116oC to a softball stage and beating the mixture while it cools to acquire a smooth and creamy feel.
2 cups of sugar, 1¾ cup of flour, 1¾ of baking cocoa, 1½ teaspoon (7ml) of baking soda, 1½ teaspoon of baking powder, 1 tbs of salt, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, ½ cup (120ml) of vegetable oil, 2 tbs of vanilla extract, 1 cup (235ml) of boiling water.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix properly
- Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and mix. After mixing properly add water until the mixture has a lot of bubbles, making the batter very thin
- Pour mixture into 2 greased 9inch baking pans
- Bake using a preheated oven for 30 minutes
- Use a skewer to monitor the cake to prevent it from overcooking as this will make the cake lose all forms of moisture.
- Allow to cooling
- Carry out frosting/ filling.
Ingredients: 1/8th cup (30ml) of cocoa, 200g of dark chocolate, 30ml of boiling water, 1/16th cup (15ml) of sugar, 2/3rd cup of Whipping cream.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and place into a pot of boiling water
- Mix the sugar and cocoa together with water
- Gently pour the sugar and cocoa solution into the melted chocolate
- Add the whipped cream into the mixture and stir till it has a smooth feel
- Frost the cake with this immediately. Preferably, divide the cake into 2 same sized layers, frost the first layer, and then place the second layer and do the same.
- Refrigerate the cake
The fudge chocolate is best eaten warm, so cut a piece from the fridge and microwave for 20 seconds when you are ready to eat.
Flourless Chocolate Cake:
This is a dense “fallen” cake made from the aerated chocolate custard. As the name implies, this type of chocolate cake is made without flour.
½ cup of sugar, 4 eggs, ¾ cups of unsalted butter, ¾ cup (150g) of chocolate.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and set above boiling water to melt
- Whisk chocolate mix lightly until it is smooth. Remove from boiling water and allow to cool while still stirring
- Mix sugar and eggs in a bowl until the mixture is creamy
- Pour melted chocolate and other constituents into a bowl and mix
- Pour mixture into a baking tray or 8 individual molds and cover with aluminum foil
- Place the molds into a deeper baking tray
- Pour boiling water into the deeper baking tray till it attains half the depth of the molds
- Bake for 30 minutes at 150oc (300F) in a preheated oven.
- Monitor with a skewer
- When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Remove mold and place it on a tray. The cake is ready to eat.
These are some really nice chocolate cake recipes every chocolate lover should try out.
BENEFITS OF CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- There has been research that has proved that eating chocolate cake early in the morning before going about your daily routine improves your memory and your emotional wellbeing.
- According to another research, pregnant women should eat chocolate cake because it reduces stress levels and their babies smile more.
- Dark chocolates are very good for your brain. It improves blood circulation and it is very good for your heart and soul.
- The presence of cocoa in chocolate cakes increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL) and reduced the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) in your system
- Chocolate contains Methamphetamine which is the same chemical our brain produces when we feel like we are falling in love.
In conclusion, when most people think about cakes, the first thing that comes to their mind is unhealthy, massive weight gain, but the truth is a slice of chocolate cake can really go a long way in making your day better, giving you more energy and brainpower. So, I recommend you add a piece of cake for your diet.